As the Winter season approaches and the air gets crisper and cooler, it’s a great time to winter proof your home (check that furnace filter) and get out your warm and cuddly throw blankets if you have not already. Some folks are not very fond of Winter, but I find this transition of the seasons rather necessary. I think everything being frozen and dead speaks to the possibility of life and renewal. For every Winter, there’s always a Spring to follow. The budding flowers and growth of greenery in the months to come would not have the same effect if we did not miss them for a while.
During this season of advent, my focus this year is gratitude. Finding contentment in the smallest and simplest things. A great exercise for you to do with family, friends, your children or even alone is making a list of all of your favorite things about the holiday season. It’s a great way to reflect on positivity as well as have a reference point when things may not go so swell.
(A Few of) My Favorite Things During the Holiday Season
- Hot Beverages (cocoa, tea, cider, coffee)
- Warm Blankets (especially stylish throws)
- The Sound of the Furnace Kicking On
- Watching Snow Fall (rare in Georgia but wonderful to see)
- A Warm Car (essential in the morning)
- Holiday Music (jazz or soul inspired)
- Christmas Cards (love picking them out and writing special messages)
- Christmas Candy & Baked Treats (yes!)
- Holiday Shopping…Online (this invention has saved my sanity)
- Celebrating and Entertaining Friends & Family (I love to throw a party!)
Now it’s your turn! What are some of your treasured things, moments and simple joy around this time of year?
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness
With Love & Light,